The rules engine is a valuable tool, allowing you to:
* Control over how you price your shipping methods
* Offers a variety of shipping methods
* Ability to manage these in your shopping cart
Setting Up a Rule:
Select the Rule Engine Panel:
To create a new rule, select Add New Rule in the top right corner of the Magento Admin panel:
Head over to the sidebar navigation & locate 'Rule Configuration':
- Rule Name: An internal name so you can easily remember the rule and its function (eg: Free Shipping – over 25kg).
- Status: Active or Inactive. This allows you to create rules and then leave them dormant. This is perfect for saving promotional rules.
- From Date / To Date: You can select specific date ranges for a rule to apply to and is useful for site promotions. This is not a mandatory field to complete.
- Priority: Rules can be set up in conjunction with each other. However to make sure the right rule is displayed at the right time (and not both) you need to assign a priority. Priorities are sequential and start at “0” (e.g. “0” will take priority of “1”, “1” will take priority over “2” and so on).
Note: Rules are not mutually exclusive, they act as adjustments on the returned shipping quotes. You need to use the rule priority function to achieve desired results. If you set up two rules of the same type and priority, the output from both rules will be displayed. Rule engine clones quote and create shipping methods based on all applicable rules.
- Stop Processing of further rules: This feature (if YES) will block any rule with a priority higher. For example if Rule Y has this feature as YES and a priority level of “3”, then all subsequent rules with priorities of “0”, “1” &” 2” will be processed – all higher (“4”, “5”, “6” etc.) will be blocked.
- Stores: If you have multiple stores on your Magento admin (international, discount store etc.), then you will need to select from this menu which store this rule is relevant too.
- Customer Groups: You have the ability to filter Shipping Rules per Magento Groups (wholesale, logged in etc.).
Once you have set up the information for the new Shipping Rule, you will need to set the Shipping Rules conditions. The conditions you are able to set within the Temando Rule Engine are limitless.
Select ‘conditions’ from the side panel, and you will begin with the below:
As you can see, the condition of a rule is separated into two elements. These are the ‘Cart attribute conditions’, and the ‘Time/Day conditions’.
Cart Attribute: Out of the box, Temando provides you with the template to create rules. These rules take into consideration the below:
To start, click the green + button and a drop-down will appear. From here, you're out of the box options are:
- Total Items Quantity
- Total Weight
- Shipping Postcode
- Shipping Region
- Shipping State/Province
- Shipping Country
Note: The above can be used individually and/or in conjunction with each other (example: Sydney postcodes only with a subtotal over $200.00.
You will also have three additional options to choose from in this drop-down menu. These are:
- Product attribute combination: Use multiple product attributes (custom or default)
- Product sub-selection: Use single or multiple product sub-selections
- Conditions combination: use multiple ‘Cart Attribute’ conditions.
When creating your own rules, remember that the middle rule (‘is,’ ‘is not, ‘equals or greater than,’ etc.) defines the relationship between the attribute and the option.
The different attributes will require you to enter the option value in a different manner. For example, Manufacturer will produce a drop-down containing all existing options you previously defined when creating the Manufacturer attribute. Price, however, will have an open text field where you can manually enter the price.
If you select Product Attributes Combination, you can create any different set of ALL/ANY and TRUE/FALSE conditions within the overall condition.
As per the example below:
First Condition; Manufacturer is Sony
Second Condition: Creating conditions combination (All to Any) Within this “sub-condition” you set the Price equal or greater than $100, and the Weight equal or less than 5 kgs.
With this Conditions Combination, the rule will apply if the Manufacturer is Sony, AND either the Price is $100 or more OR the weight is 5 kg or less.
Action Configuration refers to the type of rule this will be. The available options are:
- Flat Rate: Only one price is displayed back to the customer
- Free Shipping
- Dynamic: Multiple Options will be shown to the customer on the front end
- Restrict: If this rule comes into effect, no shipping method will be displayed – only the Restrict Shipping configuration note (see below)
Static Rate Configuration applies to the Flat Rate & Free Shipping action set in Actions Configuration. There are two elements to set up:
- Static Rate Value: This is the value assigned to the flat rate/free shipping
- Static Rate Label: This is the label that will be shown to the customer on the front end in Magento
Dynamic Rate Configuration only applies when the rule has Dynamic selected as the Shipping Rate Type. The configurable elements are:
Carriers: Allows you have the ability to filter the rule for the certain carrier. To select multiple, simply hold down CTRL and select your nominated carriers.
NB: This carrier filter acts as a second filter to the carriers selected in Configuration > Temando > Shipping Methods > Allowed Carriers
Display Filter: Allows you to filter quotes by:
- All Quotes
- Cheapest Only
- Fastest Only
- Cheapest and Fastest
Carrier Filter: You can set this to show either Standard or Express or both types.
Rate Adjustment Type: You can adjust the carrier quotes final amount by the following:
- Markup (fixed)
- Markup (percentage)
- Subsidy (fixed)
- Subsidy (percentage)
- Min:Max range
Note: For Min/Max, enter range as min:max (e.g.: 5.95:10:95 to keep shipping between $5.95 and $10.95).
- Show Carrier Name: You can select whether to display the carrier name or display your own (Only valid when Cheapest OR Fastest ONLY)
- Show Transit Type: You can select whether to display the carrier’s service type e.g. Road
- Show Transit Time: You can select whether to display the Estimated Time of Arrival (ETA) data e.g. 2-3 days
- Alternative Method Title: If you selected NO to showing the carrier name, this is where you create your alternate title e.g. Express Delivery 1-2 days
Restrict Shipping Configuration: This panel allows you to set up your note that will be displayed if you have a ‘restrict’ rule in place.
Don't forget to save your work!